Thursday, March 1, 2012

DIY Glitter Clutch

I love sparkles... what girl doesn't?  So you can imagine I am in LOVE with all of the creative ways people are glitzing up everything from shoes to house keys with a little glitter and glue. Not to be left out of this fabulous phenomenon, I decided to give it a whirl.
I found this little gem at a thrift store for a whopping $1.70.  I know I'm a serious big spender :) But it's real leather and even though it is dated I think it has "potential". 
To transform this time trapped accessory into something fabulous you need glitter, Mod Podge, a small bowl and a brush.
 I used about 1/4 cup glue to half a tube of Martha Stewart glitter.
I decided on this pewter colored glitter so that it would blend well with the black clutch but still be super sparkly.  But the options really are endless!!!
Give it a good mix and you are ready to apply.
Now paint away!!!  The glue will dry dry clear and since you are going to do a few coats don't worry about it being perfect just try do nice thin coats because thick areas of glue will take longer to dry.  This really isn't as messy as you might imagine, but just to be safe I put down a folded shipping box to work on.
While you wait for coats to dry make sure to cover your brush and glue so it doesn't dry out.
See after a few minutes you can already see the glue starting to disappear and the glitter appear.
Just paint, dry and repeat until you have completely covered your clutch and achieved the sparkle you desire.
Be sure to cover the front, back and sides.
Once everything was dry I added an old broach I had laying around.
And TA-DA!!! This is how mine turned out... not too shabby for less than 3 bucks!!!  And because the glitter is sealed in the glue it doesn't rub off on you or your clothes.  
Pretty fun, huh?
I can't wait to rock this clutch and try this technique out on other unsuspecting items!  Right now, nothing is this house is safe from a glittered future :)

Shine On, Lindsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment