Monday, December 3, 2012

DIY No Mess Play Lipstick

My little munchkin is a true "girly girl".  She LOVES pink, tries to put on ALL my jewelry at once and thinks she NEEDS makeup whenever I'm slapping it on.  Even though she is a whopping 2 years old now (ps. how did that happen?) her skills are a touch shaky!!!  Tired of removing lipstick from her forehead and the floor tiles I decided there had to be a better way so after scanning EVERY aisle in the craft store looking for a solution I came across what I think is the perfect fix!
Polymer Clay!!!  This non-toxic clay is around a dollar a package, comes in a bunch of colors, can be molded into whatever shape you want and once you bake it it becomes hard.  
If you have an old lipstick that is about at the end or one you don't use that will work perfect, but I just grabbed a $1 Wet'n Wild lipstick at the store and scooped out the lipstick.
I decided to save the lipstick in this little travel container to use for a homemade lipgloss project that is on my ever growing "To-Do" list, but that is totally up to you.  
To work with Polymer Clay, break off a piece and roll it around in your hands for a minute to two to get it nice and soft then form your tube.  I made mine about 1 1/2 inches long and about 1/2 an inch wide, you want it big enough to fit tightly in the end of the tube and just long enough that your little one can twist it up and down but still have a little sticking out.
Once you get the shape you like, put them on a piece of foil in your oven and back according to the package instructions, mine baked at 275 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Once they are cool...
use glue to secure the clay into the bottom of the tube!
You can leave the clay as is or use fingernail polish to add sparkle or color to your "lipstick" like I did to this one.  I really like "Piggy Paints" they are great non-toxic nail polishes for kids.
I left my tops smooth and rounded for easy application, but the shape is totally up to you.  My little diva LOVES these!!!  To say these were a success is a huge understatement!  They twist up and down just like the real thing, the colors are great and she thinks they are the real deal!!!
Stay tuned, because tomorrow I'll show you how to make the rest of the play makeup I made her for her birthday!!! 

Enjoy,

5 comments:

  1. What kind of glue did you use to secure the clay into the tube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle,

      Thanks so much for checking out my blog! I've used hot glue, E-600 and Gorilla Glue. All of these work great. If you use the gorilla or E-600 there is no chance the clay will come out :) Just make sure you do this ahead of and really give them time to set and harden. Best of luck with your project they are still a huge hit at our house :)

      Take Care,
      Lindsey

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I did it today using tacky glue, so we will see how it holds. If it pops out I'll be sure to try E-600 I always have it on hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. where do you get the clay from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get polymer clay at quite a few places. Craft stores such as michaels and joanns usually has it, as do some stores like walmart. It can be found under the name "sculpey" or "fimo" and comes in lots of fun colors.

      Delete