Sunday, April 22, 2012

Kitchen Sink Cookies

Last year I had these amazing cookies at an event and I have been trying to recreate them ever since. They were big, thick and full of all these amazing flavors.  The owner of the bakery didn't give me the recipe, but she did share a few of the ingredients.. coconut with the oats gives the great texture and almond extract adds another unexpected flavor.  With those tips I took a basic oatmeal cookie recipe and started experimenting. I am by no means a master baker, but this is what I came up with and they were devoured in our house so I guess they turned out alright :)

Glimmer & Grit Kitchen Sink Cookies
2 cups flour
1 cup quick oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 sticks butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. almond extract (or vanilla your choice)
add-ins
1 cup coconut
1 package chocolate chips (white or regular)
1 cup nuts (I used chopped pecans, but macadamia nuts are delicious too)
1 cup dried cranberries (raisins or dried cherries are also great)
First cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and almond extract. Now mix the flour, oats, salt, baking soda and cinnamon together, then add slowly to the wet mix.
I use a small cookie scoop to make them all nice and uniform. 
Aren't they cute?!? OK, I'm obvious easily impressed :)
Bake these little gems for 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown.
Finally try to eat just a few, or at least just a few in front of your family and then have a few later when no one is looking :)
These are so yummy and the recipe can spiced up every time you make them depending on what you have on hand.  I used dark chocolate, pecans and dried cranberries (yummy), but white chocolate, dried cherries and macadamia nuts is maybe my favorite combo so far!
See all that goodness packed inside!!!
And bonus this cookie dough freezes great!!!  If you have very little willpower LIKE ME... make one pan and stick the rest in the freezer.  This way you can't eat TOO many, and you'll have a sweet treat ready to just pop in the fridge whenever you need it!

Enjoy, Lindsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment