Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thrift Store Lamp Makeover

I've been wanting to try my hand at a lamp for a little while now and this week I finally gave it a whirl.  I found this lovely dated lamp at a thrift store for 5 dollars and thought it would work in my bedroom (which is getting a complete overhaul).  First things first I took off the shade and spray painted the base Blue Ocean Breeze, a fun turquoise color from Krylon.
Next I painted the shade as well, just because this one was pretty awful.  For material I used the bed skirt from my old bedding set.  The off white textured material that my bed sat on I thought would work well and it was free :) so I ripped the entire thing into 1 1/2 - 2 inch wide strips. It doesn't have to be perfect, just pick an end, cut slits all along it at whatever distance apart you want and then take out some frustration on that sheet!!! You should end up with a big pile of long strips.. (I used the entire bed skirt/sheet) and a little less stress :)
Now get comfortable because this does take a while.  I just picked a spot at the top of the shade, took a strip of my fabric, rolled the end a little into a bud like shape then haphazardly spread on a some hot glue and quickly twisted and wrapped pressing down on the fabric to make a rosette.
It doesn't have to be perfect, just keep going.
I left about an inch space between each rosette and then on the next round put the rosette in between the ones above so they are staggered. 
Once you make it all the way around, top to bottom I went back and took scrap pieces of the fabric and filled in all the spaces in between the rosettes.
Again just spread out some glue and press in some fabric however you like until the space is filled.
 This is the finished product.. pretty cool huh? I really like it!  For my first lamp project I'm HAPPY :)
The night stand is also a new addition and one of my latest thrift store finds.
Here's a sneak peek... it started out looking like this!
Hope you like the lamp, if so go find one in your house or at your local thrift store, grab a bunch of glue sticks and a good movie and in one night you could have one too :)

Good Luck, Lindsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment