Monday, November 28, 2011

Sweater Up-Cycle = Cowgirl Boot Socks!

I love the fall! The cool weather means out come the sweaters and boots and I couldn't be happier.  As I have said before I am totally obsessed with leg warmers for little girls and was probably secretly a little jealous that I too couldn't pull them off :) I'm afraid I'm a little old and probably about 30 years late for my "Flashdance Moment"... but then I saw boot socks and I became giddy!  It's basically just a "hint" of the leg warmer look, and I'm pretty sure for me it was love at first sight!  Determined to join the trend, on the cheap of course :)  I dug through my closet and found a couple great large sweaters I wore when I was pregnant and that were destined for donation... and within 20 minutes I was having my "moment" and hopefully not completely embarrassing my family! 
*** PLEASE forgive the white legs.  I think these "boot socks" look best layered over skinny jeans or leggings, but I wanted you to see what they look like alone. 
This is how I did it.
I folded my sweater in half with the arms together... and then cut through all four layers.  
The length depends on how tall you want them.  I've come to find out you can't really have them too long, because you scrunch them until they look right... so go long :)
Then I turned the arms inside out.. rolled up the bottom and zigzagged along the edge. If your sweater is too big, also sew down the side and cut off any excess.
I went around twice just to make sure the edges were sealed.  One tip with knit sweaters try not to pull too much because they will start to unravel, but if you cut and sew right away it's no big deal :)
Turn them right side out and TA-DA!!!  I told you they were easy :) I used pretty bulky sweaters, but you could use any weight.  These were so fun and easy I fully intend to make more with some thinner light weight sweaters very soon :)  I've also seen people add buttons and lace if you feel like taking it a step further
SO go ahead.. make some TODAY!  SO you too can put on your new "boot socks", slip into your favorite boots (maybe just leave the ripped "Flashdance" sweatshirt for another day :) and not only are you stylish, but super comfy! So go raid your closet or a thrift store for fun colored and textured sweaters, it's a quick inexpensive way to sport this fun trend.  Let me know what you come up with!

Good Luck, Lindsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment