Friday, November 4, 2011

Monster Red Velvet Cookies

Red Velvet Cake is one of those treats that most people in my family can't resist! So when I saw a recipe online for red velvet cookies that started with a cake mix I had to try it. Since then I have experimented with the recipe and drastically changed the size... if a little is good more is amazing, right??? This is what I came up with!  They are so easy and a huge hit around our house, I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients:
1 Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 Egg
2 sticks room temperature butter
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 package white chocolate chips
Add the 2 sticks of room temperature butter to your mixer, beat it until smooth.  Then add one egg, and the vanilla.
 Next comes the cake mix and 1/2 a cup of flour.
 When everything comes together add in a package of white chocolate chips.
Then I take a large ice cream scoop.....
and drop 6 large mounds of "red deliciousness" onto a parchment lined baking sheet (because I am lazy and will do anything to avoid washing another dish :)
From here I press down just a little on the center of these monster scoops of dough so when they spread out while baking they end up nice and round. Then it's into a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes... this is the tricky part, because the cookies are red it is hard to tell when they are done.  The color does not change, but trust me over baking them is no good! So watch them close for the first batch.
I am no baking expert, but for me at 15 minutes I take them out of the oven and leave them on the baking sheet for about another minute or two just to give them a chance to start to cool and set up then I transfer them to a cooling rack. Because they are so big, if you take them off right away they may crack or start to fall apart.  I know this seems like a lot of steps for a silly cookie but I promise they are REALLY good.. and we did start with a cake mix :)  
The "who needs a meal I just ate a giant cookie" size, I think makes them fun and special. One batch should make 12 Monster Cookies... that is if you don't taste one or two or twelve before anyone sees.  Not that I know anything about that from experience, I'm just guessing that someone might be tempted.. OK OK OK so the first time I made these I ate 3, but it was all in the name of research!
They are super delicious and also cute wrapped up as a gift.  But don't try and be sneaky with these little treasures like someone I know.....
"Maybe if I grab just one bite off the counter....
..Mom won't notice!"
"And if I hurry, I can totally deny it ever happened!"
"Oops... so busted!"
Caught Red Lipped and Red Handed! :)

All and all, this recipe is a good reason to keep a couple Red Velvet Cake Mixes stashed in your pantry just in case you need a quick dessert or sugar high!

Enjoy, Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment