Tuesday, January 24, 2012

DIY Exfoliator.. Glowy Fresh Face For Only A Few Pennies :)

I used to be a sucker for any hair and beauty products or treatments that promised the latest greatest results.  You know that over priced shampoo at the salon that made your hair seem so silky, then you get it home and realize it's just shampoo... maybe it was the pampering and not the product that subliminally made my hair seem so much better there... not sure???  But I justified the cost because of my job, I figured I HAD to because my job was to look good on TV.  If you haven't figured this out yet.. I can pretty much talk myself into or justify just about any purchase :) But since I decided to stay at home and be with my little munchkins full-time... the silly spending stopped, no one at my house complains if my hair and skin aren't silky smooth... now if I change the cartoon channel that's a different story!!!  I may not NEED these extra pampering products, but I'm still a girl and I like to look good so I've been trying to have the best of both worlds... and that involves making my own!  Surprisingly you really CAN make some of your favorite products for pennies.  I've tried a few now and I'm really excited to share them with you over the next few days.

  The first is basically micro-dermabrasion using two ingredients you already have... baking soda and water. 
Mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda... nothing fancy just the regular old box in your cupboard or fridge and 1 tablespoon of water.  It makes a nice paste consistency.  I mixed mine in a small plastic container with a lid so that I could just pop on the lid and easily save the remaining scrub for future use.
To use just apply the paste liberally to your entire face being careful not to get it in your eyes and lightly rub in a circular motion.
 Once you've given your face a good scrub, let the paste sit for a few minutes. 
 Then rinse with warm water and you are done.  
Ok.. obviously these photos are proof that any fantasy I may have had about someday being a "Neutrogena Girl" are now forever crushed, but I've been doing this twice a week for two weeks and I feel like my skin has NEVER looked better.  It's smooth and "glowy" and WOW do I LOVE the price tag! 
I kept the scrub right next to the sink with the lid on until I used it all, which was about two weeks.  You could keep it in the fridge if you want that cool feeling, but I was too lazy and it still worked great.  Eventually it will dry out, so just add a little water to get it back to a paste or make some more... after all it did only cost a few pennies :)

So grab your baking soda and scrub away... beautiful glowing skin will be yours without that expensive trip to a spa!

Enjoy, Lindsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment