Monday, June 24, 2013

Painted Wood Island Re-Do


A few weeks ago I decided that I didn't like the set up in my house so much to my husbands shock I started moving everything around.  You know sometimes a girl just needs a little change :) But in the process of moving things around this wall near our front door was empty, so I decided to take an old island that we weren't using and solve my empty space situation!  It was a quick afternoon project and I really love how it turned out.  It truly is amazing what a little paint will do.. don't you think?!?


My husband and I bought this solid wood island at an unfinished furniture store for our first house years ago, we were so proud of our first DIY project staining it (who knew that would be the start of all my crazy projects?).  But now, two moves and two kids later this island just wasn't doing anything for me so I decided to give it a little makeover.  


So here it is the before and after, now in its new home near our front door.


To get from blah to beautiful, I painted the entire piece black.  I used a can of black paint I had on hand, but you could totally use spray paint.  Then I painted a coat of red, for this I did used spray paint.  I like how smooth spray paint goes on and how quickly it dries.  The coat of red can be light since you will want some of that black to show throw after a little distressing.


Once it was dry, I used a piece of sand paper to rough up the edges down the legs and across the entire top.  Just have fun, there is no science to distressing just keep sanding until you like the look.  I decided to leave the two drawers black, which I also painted black inside and out for a little contrast.


Next, I grabbed two new knobs from Hobby Lobby.  The picture doesn't do them justice, but they are a great aged red that look as if they have been distressed as well, a perfect compliment to the island if I do say so myself! :) To finish it off I sealed it with some Annie Sloan clear wax, my secret weapon for any furniture project... OK maybe not so secret!


Thanks to a little paint, instead of being destined for donation it now has a new fabulous life in our home.  That is for a few years until I get bored and paint it again, but don't tell my husband that!  

Enjoy,

No comments:

Post a Comment