Sunday, April 7, 2013

No Sew Hippie Headscarf


Yes, I'm alive!!!  Sorry for the the lack of posts lately, life is great but crazy and busy so thank you for hanging in there with me and if this is your first time to my little section of cyberspace thanks for checking me out!  

In honor of the crazy days and never seeming to have enough hours in the day to get all the things done that I need to, much less that I want to and fixing my hair well that's not even on my radar, so this is a project that takes only a few seconds and couldn't be cuter!


First grab a square scarf!  This is one I found at Walmart for $2.50, I just loved the colors and the price was right up my alley.  If you have one on hand even better, thrift stores are also great places to find fun old scarves.  


Now cut the scarf in half straight up the center so you have two rectangles.. not triangles!  You now have material for two headscarves, so make one for you and one for a friend... score!!!


Next, roll the cut edge under or towards the back of the scarf about and inch, you can press this to help keep the shape or add a few dabs of glue, but I just folded it! Now, give it another fold or two toward the center.


Then do the same on the other side so you end up with both sides meeting in the center.


And then depending on the design on the scarf and what you want to show, fold one on top of the other. This should give you a nice smooth finished looking folded scarf without having to sew a stitch. Again, you can add a few dabs of glue to help keep its shape, but I was lazy and wanted to wear this right now!  Patience is not one of my strengths :)


Now, you just put it around your head with the open ends near where you want the bow and tie it up.  To make this clear I tied it once in front of me to better show the simple knot.  Put one end under the other and pull it tight.


Then put one end under the other a second time and pull tight.  I found that by cutting the scarf in two rectangles instead of triangles you should have just enough of the two tails sticking out to look like a bow.  You can then flatten and fluff those ends as much as you want depending on how dramatic you want it.


Tah-Dah!  This takes seconds not only to make, but also to tie and it takes my" haven't had time for a shower" hair from sad to sassy!


I just started messing with an old scarf one day and came up with this "faux bow" by accident and I love it!  I think it's girly without having a huge looped bow on the side of your head, which would take much more material and may look cute on my 2 year old, but maybe a little ridiculous on me.. MAYBE!?!


So grab a scarf and save yourself some time and headaches on those days that your hair is on strike, which for me is almost everyday!

 Enjoy,



No comments:

Post a Comment